Sunday, June 29, 2008

Time Flies By

I suppose that any regular readers I had, if I had any other than Filtersweep, are now long gone with the hugely intermittent postings.

Things here have become consistent yet still hectic. Cassidy continues to have many MANY basketball games and practices. Of course these are interspersed with football practices now, so he is kept busy 3-7 days a week for 3-12 hours.

My lovely wife continues to work consistent 10-12 hour days at the family business. I know she loves the work and being the boss, she is VERY much looking forward to the next Vegas trip as the second longest getaway of our relationship, and the longest without Cassidy being along!

As for me, I continue to work as much overtime as I possibly can. This was a direct result of the ever climbing gas prices, as my trusty gas-guzzler was drinking $100/week. I had been a big fan of the bicycle commute for a while; however with my recent transition to Police Officer, I am unable to justify the 1.5 hour public transit transition to work. The commute home would be fine, but I cannot justify pedaling in to work when I routinely make 3-5 trips per day up 9 flights of stairs in emergencies. I still love cycling and respect those who are able and willing to commute via two human powered wheels.

In my defense, I have discovered a new passion that is indicative of the police officer stereotype…not doughnuts (or power rings as WE like to call them, I already knew about those), but the not-quite-as-bad-for-the-environment-as-my-gas-guzzling-SUV motorcycle. I have always wanted to drive a motorcycle, if not quite as a lifestyle, as a recreational mode of daily transportation. After many weeks of searching for a cycle and planning for my class, I purchased (thanks for letting me Baby!!!!) a 2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado. I will post more of my exploits as time progresses, but for now I am totally fine with streets and roads, highways are still a “pucker factor” of 9. Hopefully, that feeling will lessen, but I never want it to feel routine. ‘Cause if I ever feel totally comfortable on highways, I should probably stop riding.

By the way, I highly recommend any class offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, fun and educational. Big thanks to The Rooster and everybody at Coyote MS; and extra special thanks to Cowboy Joe, Officer Friendly, and Sean for the advice…we will go riding soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home